Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Doctor's Appointment..11 weeks

Even though yesterday was a terrible day (give the condition of the market) to have a 3:30pm appointment, Travis went with me to see Dr. S. She performed another ultrasound and we saw the legs, both arms, the head and the heartbeat! I think Travis was a little amazed, as was I, that the limbs were so apparent. So far, so good.



Please pray for us as I'm trying to decide whether to have the 1st Trimester test, aka Prenatal Genetic Testing and nuchal translucency (the thickness of the neck which is associated with Down's) test, done this Friday with the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor. While it's not invasive in the least (it's done via ultrasound and pricking my finger), the outcome only predicts the probability of the baby having Down's Syndrome and Trisomy 18. Here's a link to the March of Dimes website explaining the test. http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1166.asp#head2



While we didn't know Grayton had CDH and, thus, ignorance was blissful because my pregnancy was wonderful, I feel knowledge is power. In someways, it's such a "catch 22" because if we had known about Grayton's CDH, there's little that could be done to "fix" it. Therefore, I would've worried myself crazy. It's kind of the same scenario this time. Terminating the pregnancy is not an option and there really aren't many preventive measures that can be taken either if the baby has Down's or Trisomy. Again, please pray for the baby and it's health, as well as for Travis and I that we'll make the right decision on "to test or not to test".

3 comments:

  1. Baby Creekbaum continues to be in our prayers--as are you and Travis...and your decision of whether to test or not--regardless of your decision--I hope you find peace in knowing that Our Great Physician already knows every little thing about this precious baby and the impact he or she will have on your lives--just as He knew about precious Grayton--and we can all agree she had a profound impact on so many people! Praise God for the miracle of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an ultrasound at 11 weeks, they are pretty amazing. We opted not to have those tests performed because it would not change our course of action for our child. Trisomy also have indicators that can be found when they do your 20 week scan, so no need to get back test results that have a high false positive. What ever decision you make it will be best for you and Travis. Prayers for a healthy little peanut!

    Love,

    Amy, Steve, ^Faith^, and baby Miles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and Travis and that precious child growing inside of you, that he or she will be healthy! To test or not test...you will make the right decision...always follow your heart. Sending you lots of love and well wishes for the months to come.

    Hugs, Tracy Meats - mom to Ian, born with a LCDH on 4/3/04

    ReplyDelete